This is one of those great two-for-the-price-of-one deals: a super fun activity to engage your little one, and a yummy, nutritious snack idea all rolled into one. I love this activity/recipe because it requires almost no prep work, makes very little mess, and is actually very healthy. My daughter LOVES making her own goodie-stuffed buns, and gobbles them up when they are finished baking (and my munchkin is generally more of a picker than a gobbler!). She’s taken to calling them “All-By-Myself-Buns”, a name that has stuck around our house. Hope you and your munchkins enjoy the idea too!
You will need…
Bun dough - any of the following will work...
- Pillsbury-type refrigerated bun or biscuit dough
- Store-bought freezer bun dough (preferably whole wheat), defrosted
- Homemade whole wheat bun dough (actually very quick and easy if you use a breadmaker)
Filling – use the following ideas or make up your own..
· Peanut or almond butter and jam
· Cream cheese with mashed bananas or berries (have your child help you mash the fruit and combine with the cream cheese)
· Cheddar or mozzarella (cut into small cubes)
· Other filling of your choice
|Enjoying a cream cheese and blueberry bun|
Give your child a ball of dough and show them how to pat it out into a flat pancake shape on a greased pan. Next, show them how to arrange or spread your chosen topping in the centre of the dough. Then step in to help, folding the corners of the dough into the centre, pinching shut, and placing pinched side down on the baking sheet. Bake according to directions for the dough you are using, allow to cool, and enjoy!